Thursday, March 29, 2007

A Turning of the Tide?

We have decided to really seek out the biomed route for Gage. I have seen more improvement in the last 3 months of the dietary interventions and supplements than I have in the 9 months before with just therapy. I am anxious to go see a DAN doctor, to get a professional involved who deals with this all the time. Our pediatrician is of course not supportive of this. Saying there is "no scientific evidence" that biomed has any validity.
Well maybe he does not know what he's talking about. Discover Magazine's April (http://discovermagazine.com/2007/apr/autism-it2019s-not-just-in-the-head ) issue has an article about autism and how many subsets of autism may be caused by environmental toxins and about research that is going to to explore this. And research done by reputable universities.
After hearing stories from other moms and seeing the subtle but steady changes in my own son I can not discount the biomed approach. I know that hoping that this will "cure" my son is maybe setting the bar too high, but I can hope to make him the best he can be. I do hope that pediatricians will get their heads out of their butts and look a little deeper for answers. They often miss the warning signs or say " lets wait and see". They are missing the boat and wasting precious time for their patients that could be spent on intervention. Then when parents do ALL the research and come with questions they quickly discount them because of no "scientific evidence" I wonder when the last time my pediatrician read an article about autism was?
Maybe this Discover Magazine article is a turning of the tide. Maybe there soon will be "scientific evidence" Maybe... finally.... us crazy parents will be heard.

No comments: