Friday, February 16, 2007

Music to my ears

There is mischief afoot in my bedroom. I can hear giggling, laughing, squealing, and loud thumping. If my Mommy radar is correct the kids are jumping off the bed and I believe having a game of chase. (Mommy radar knows what is happening just from the sound) Having Gage has changed my views as a parent. If Gage was your typical child I would probably be back there right now scolding the kids for jumping off the bed and telling them to calm down since it is so close to bed time. But I'm not. Instead I am sitting here smiling enjoying the ruckus, because the kids are playing TOGETHER. Gage is never really interested in playing WITH anyone, and Makinna is always looking for someone to play WITH. Ironic that my children are such polar opposites. One of the deficits of autism is social skills. So Gage lacks the ability to know how to play with other children, how to share, how to take turns, how to interact with others appropriately. The kids end up fighting a lot because Gage lacks these skills. So as I sit here in the kitchen and listen to laughing and playing together, I smile. It is music to my ears. Bedtime will just have to come a little later tonight, for there is sibling bonding going on!!

1 comment:

MOTHER OF MANY said...

Mothers definitely have a radar,my older children have told me that when they were younger they couldn't get away with anything because I knew everything.My 6 year old who is autistic is quite happy to play alone but she so loves being tickled by her sisters!